Friday 4 November 2016

Alex's Scone Recipe

I had this recipe up here  for a few years and I don't understand where its gone. Gremlins must have wanted it because its a really good scone recipe that was my great grand mother's on my fathers side, which has been passed down the family.


I am not one of those foolish people that refuses to share a recipe, to me that is a very immature thing to do. Unless it is a business such as a restaurant having a signature dish. That is understandable but home cooking, meh!


1 lb or 3 metric cups of SR flour
1 tsp ( level) Salt
3oz   80gms Margarine/ Butter
1 Egg
1 TBL Spoon Castor Sugar
1/2 pint or 1 1/4 cup of Milk


Pinch of Bicarbonate of Soda to help make the scones light and fluffy ( I tend to use a bit more than a pinch)


Method:

Beat egg in a cup and put aside a table spoon of the egg and a little milk to use in glazing.
Mix flour, sugar and salt together in a bowl then rub in the margarine or butter.   I USE OLIVE SPREAD and that works fine.


Add the beaten egg and the milk and mix into a dough. Roll out  to a thickness of 1/2 and inch
on a floured surface, to prevent the dough sticking to the surface. next use a scone cutter to cut the size you want. Then place the scones onto a greased tray and glaze the tops with the left over egg and milk mix. Bake in a very hot oven for around 10 mins. I use the electric oven at 220.  As 180 degrees does not help them rise properly.


Makes about 12 or 13 if you use the medium sized cutter. I don't even bother using the rolling pin these days if I am in a hurry , I just pat the dough with the palms of my hand.


You can add sultanas to the scones or use wholemeal flour if you like. If you want to make cheese scones, just omit the sugar. Then add 3 to 4 oz / 80 gms of tasty  or Cheddar cheese.

Scones freeze well and can be toasted too, under the grill. If defrosting either leave them to defrost at room temp or microwave them for  about 20 seconds.  I find the microwave alters the taste of food so, I don't use it too often.


I hope everyone enjoys these lovely scones. share the recipe far and wide that's what its there for.

Update, Just checking my stats and it is lovely to see the scone recipe is very popular. It is nice to go the full bit and get out the  nice table cloths and fine bone china.


There is nothing I love more that going all out with the linen napkins, and the full china service, right down to the little miniature serving spoons for the cream and jam.