Monday 3 January 2011

Back to normal

Well here we are, the silly season is over. We all have to get back to normal now. Being in Australia , I am now looking at the garden and catching up with all the maintenance that needs to be done. January  and February are hot months. So gardening needs to be done early in the morning or late afternoon and evening.
It gives me so much pleasure just being out in my garden at any time of day. Sun, rain or hail I am champing at the bit to just get into my garden.

This summer I have added solar fairy lights to the garden. It looks so pretty at night time, and a nice cool evening, sitting out there is just wonderful. Now that the drought in Canberra has broken, we have nice lush green gardens to enjoy. It has been a long time since we have had lovely green grass in our city.

I have lived in Canberra for over 15 years now, I have a deep love of this city. The people here are so lovely. I would be so sad to move interstate and never return. Canberra has a special place in my heart.
it is not like other big cities that I have lived in like Glasgow, Edinburgh or Sydney. It is just a big lovely country town. To live here is such a privilege for me.

Australians are big gardeners by the way, the climate here gives us the opportunity to get outside and touch base with nature. As a gardener I just can't get outdoors enough to enjoy this place. We can grow just about any type of plant in Australia. So what ever theme you like, you can do it here. Me, I am in to country gardens that are ever green and lush, with deciduous  trees for winter. That being for extra sunlight into my yard and house. Good shade is important during summer, as it gets so hot in January and February.

I must admit, I am a winter person. I start to crave winter by the time March comes around.Today I started going over some of my plant pots and found bulbs that needed to be dried out. Yuk, I just hate finding soggy bulbs. So I have lifted them to dry out before I replant them. It is such a good feeling having all the garden tasks done and being able to relax and enjoy the fruits of my labour.